Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bike Endos And Upcoming Sales

This is me and my sweet girl Jamie.
This picture was taken in the mountains of North Georgia a few years ago, after a long day in the woods.
We camped overnight with a group of adventure racers and then while I spent the entire next day trekking and mountain biking throughout the area (while doing some navigation training with a team-mate), my husband and dog kept a huge camp fire burning.
It was mid-December, very cold and very damp, and the fire was a hit with both stay-behind family members and freezing cold racers once they came back out of the woods.
I taco'd the front wheel of my mountain bike during that training, when I hit a log that was completely buried in fallen leaves.
I saw the end of the log too late and unsuccessfully tried to maneuver around it at the last second.
I hit the log hard, and my bike came to a screeching halt on the rock and leaf covered downhill section of rutted out trail.
I did a slow endo over my handlebars, went airborne and landed softly in another bed of fallen leaves on the back side of the log.
After picking myself up and standing my bike up again, I looked down at it and my first thought was that I had a flat tire.  It took me a second to realize that my entire front wheel was now in the shape of a taco.
It was close to the end of the day and I told my team-mate to go on and pick up the last checkpoint we were headed for, and I'd meet him back at the campsite.
Good times. 
OAR has been open for three months already.
It's been an interesting, exciting, and sometimes even frustrating time, but we are loving the great outdoor gear and clothing that has come through the door, and are really enjoying meeting great outdoor people!
Our operating hours will remain the same through the month of March (Wed-Sat 9am-5pm).

The week of April 1 we will extend our operating days and OAR will be open
Tuesday-Saturday 9am-5pm.

Check back with this blog later in the week for information on upcoming sales!