Saturday, September 29, 2012

Developing A Plan

About a month before we found our garage bay.......uh, our outdoor store.......my husband LC and I spent a lot of time and energy cutting and splitting and stacking wood at the house in preparation for a long Wyoming winter.
Even though we were both still nervous about the prospect of starting our own business (and even before we had found our store site and totally committed to the idea), I found myself looking at the chunks of wood LC was throwing in my direction.  Instead of just blindly stacking them on palettes I looked at them first, and as I found interesting looking pieces of wood I tossed them to the side................ 
As we both sanded and stained and clear coated pieces of wood my curious and bemused neighbor came over often to see what we were up to.
"What are you gonna do with that?" she asked.
"I dunno.  Maybe hang stuff on it" I replied.
"What are you gonna do with that?" she asked.
"I dunno.  Maybe make it into a foot stool" I replied.
"What are you gonna do with that?" she asked.
"I have no idea but I'll figure somethin' out." I replied.
There was a plan in there somewhere. 
But as I looked at random pieces of wood sitting on cinder blocks in the yard in various stages of "finished" I wasn't entirely sure what the plan was................
After finally committing to the store we gradually began the process of moving stashed items down to the building.
First on the agenda was gathering together all the stuff I had hidden in drawers and cupboards all over the house, and then all the stuff I had stored under the bed.
Finally my bedroom closet breathed a sigh of relief...................
I found this little wagon in the barn (left by a renter of our house many years ago) and pulled it out, intending to take it down to the store during our first trip as well.
"What are you gonna do with that?" asked my neighbor.
"I dunno.  Put stuff in it" I replied.
There was a plan in there somewhere.  REALLY there was!
The entire place needed cleaning and painting and building, and so we stashed our first load of "store stuff" in the middle of the room of what was once an office.
There is so much more still stored away in plastic storage containers in two different sheds at the house., and it will have to stay there until we get further along in the process.
I can hardly wait to see LC's face when he sees everything I have surreptitiously picked up over many months.
He has no idea.
After unloading the truck and dumping everything into the middle of the room LC and I walked around the garage bay/outdoor store again.
Oh boy.  There was so much to do...................